Saturday, January 10, 2009

The old is out. The new is in.


The truck pulled up right on schedule on January 2, 2009. Two ample-size delivery men knocked on my front door and identified themselves — as if the Lack’s delivery truck wasn’t enough proof that they were here to help usher in the New Year.

“I guess you want us to carry off the old one,” remarked one of the men.
“Yep,” I responded. “You know what they say.”
“What do they say?” asked the other man.
“Out with the old; in with the new.” I replied. Never had that cliché held more meaning.

I locked my screen door in the open position. The men marched into my house, and I led them to the room at the end of the hall.


“This one is definitely old,” declared one of the men. “But it’s in better shape than others we’ve seen.” Within minutes, the old was out, and it was time for the new.

The shiny plastic wrap glimmered in the sun as the new box spring and mattress came off the lift at the back of the truck. Once the men had the two pieces inside, they tore off the plastic and very carefully laid the mattress on top of the box spring.

I signed my name for the first time in 2009, acknowledging that I had received the purchase. As soon as the truck pulled away, I bounded back inside my house, took a running leap and landed right in the middle brand-new, guaranteed, plush new queen-size mattress.

I know this is the perfect way to start the New Year! And I’m hoping that the 2,900 hours I spend in this new bed in 2009 will allow me to wake refreshed and ready to complete all the resolutions I’ve made.

I’m also hoping that 2009 is filled with nights of good sleep and sweet dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment